Friday, December 21, 2007

Excerpt From Kanye West's Interview With SPIN Magazine

Read...

You made a conscious effort to shape Graduation for the next level of mainstream success?
A conscious effort to take it to the next level in every form of success. More black people bought this album than any I've made.

Does that make sense to you?
Uh-huh. Because I made the album blacker.

You think Graduation is blacker than The College Dropout?
Way blacker. "Can't Tell Me Nothing" -- how hood is that record? "Good Life" is straight Steve Harvey, all day long. "Flashing Lights"? I never had a record that was that black. But it's white at the same time. Certain things are so good it doesn't have to be white or black. That's what Graduation is. Take "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger." It's a white sample, but everything I do to it is to make it as black as possible. So I'ma make the bass as black as possible; I'ma make the lyrics as intense as possible.

Well alrighty then. Click here for the rest of the interview.